A collection of Pashtun stories from Loy Afghanistan

Saturday, December 12, 2009

"The pumpkin and the walnut"

One warm day, Nasrudin was relaxing in the shade of a walnut tree. After awhile he pondered the huge pumpkins growing on vines nearby and the small walnuts growing on a towering tree.

"Sometimes I just cannot understand the ways of God" he thought. "Why on earth does he let tiny walnuts grow on such a majestic tree and enormous pumpkins on those delicate vines!"

Just then a walnut fell from the tree and smacked Nasrudin square on top of his bald head. He got up at once and lifted his hands to the heavens in supplication.

"Oh my God! Forgive me for my questioning ways! You are the one who is all-wise. Where would I be now if pumpkins grew on trees!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers